Know Your Strikers: Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson has been with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers since he was picked by the club after participating in the 2012 NASL Combine trials. The Durham, England native signed his first professional contract in March of that year coming from Barry University in Miami Shores.
Anderson finished his rookie season with two NASL Offensive Player of the Week honors and made the NASL Best XI at the end of the season. He has made 22 starts in 28 appearances in all competitions, scoring 13 goals.
Anderson enjoyed a successful college career at Barry where he scored 59 goals and had 32 assists in 74 appearances for the school. He earned a degree in Criminology.
In his native England, Anderson was a former youth scholar at Sunderland A.F.C. and also played for Roseberry Sports College. He had a knack for scoring, averaging more than a goal per game in 2007 -- 43 goals in 35 matches. Based on his performances he was awarded a scholarship to Barry University when he made his move to the United States.
1. If you didn't become a professional soccer player, what other profession do you think you might've pursued?
Mark Anderson: I would've been a fireman.
2. What is an achievement or accomplishment in your soccer career?
MA: Making the NASL team of the year in 2012.
3. What is your favorite hobby outside of your soccer career? What do you like to do in your leisure/free time?
MA: I like to rest, I also like to go shopping and see good movies.
4. Which professional soccer league in the world do you consider to be the strongest and most competitive league?
MA: English Premier League
5. Do you have a favorite soccer club?
MA: Manchester United
6. Who was your favorite soccer player?
MA: David Beckham
7. What music do you listen to on your iPod?
MA: I listen to all kinds of music, but I prefer R&B and house music.
8. What is your favorite sport besides soccer?
MA: Basketball and American football (NFL). For some reason, I don't know why, my favorite NFL team is the Patriots.
9. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Cup in Brazil?
MA: I think Spain will win it.
10. What is your favorite food here in South Florida?
MA: I like Cuban cuisine.
11. Who has had an impact in your soccer career and how?
MA: I had some good coaches while I was at Sunderland (England). But also my parents have had an influence not only in my soccer career, but in life.
12. Do you have a favorite color(s) ?
MA: Black and white
Follow Mark Anderson on Twitter at @MarkSparky10