Know Your Strikers: Darnell King
Darnell King is in his third season with the Strikers, the only professional team he has played for to this point in his career.
The 23-year-old King has quickly become a fan-favorite due to his friendly personality and always giving his full effort on the field for the club. King was the only player on the roster to appear in all 26 NASL games in 2013 when he finished with three goals and one assist.
King, a Tampa native, was a four-year starter for the Florida Atlantic University Owls where he was ranked 10th best player in the Mid-American Conference by TopDrawerSoccer.com. He led the Owls in scoring in each of his final three seasons, finishing his career at the collegiate level with 17 goals and 10 assists.
King made his pro debut with the Strikers as a substitute on April 7, 2012 against FC Edmonton. The speedy King has showed versatility for the Strikers, displaying proficiency as both a right defender and a right winger.
1. If you didn't become a professional soccer player, what other profession do you think you might've pursued?
Darnell King: I wanted to be a fireman. But my dad was a professional (American) football player, so ever since I was a kid I definitely wanted to play soccer.
2. What is an achievement or accomplishment in your soccer career?
DK: For me it's been my road in soccer, from youth to college, then from college to now as a pro. My goals aren't done yet. I'm working on getting more goals fulfilled.
3. What is your favorite hobby outside of your soccer career? What do you like to do in your leisure/free time?
DK: I love singing. In fact, me and Fafa Picault are trying to put a song together, we're working on that. Hopefully the fans will like it when it comes out. I like playing basketball, too.
4. Which professional soccer league in the world do you consider to be the strongest and most competitive league?
DK: The English Premier League is the one I watch the most.
5. Do you have a favorite soccer club, or one that you may have cheered for while growing up?
DK: I would say Barcelona and Manchester City.
5. Who is your favorite soccer player?
6. Do you have a favorite singer and/or band that you like listening to?
DK: My favorite artist is John Legend. I like to listen to a lot of R&B, occasionally I listen to rap, not so much for the lyrics, but for the rhythm.
7. What is your favorite sport besides soccer?
DK: I like watching basketball and American football. In the NBA I follow the Chicago Bulls. In football, Tampa Bay Buccaneers because I am from Tampa.
8. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Cup in Brazil?
DK: I think Brazil has a big advantage because it's home. But Spain also has a lot of momentum going into the tournament.
9. What is your favorite food here in South Florida?
DK: I really eat anything, but I would say I'm a pizza guy.
10. Who has had an impact in your soccer career and how?
DK: People always come along to help you out, but throughout my years I can definitely say my family, my mom and my dad always kept me on the right track. Also my youth coach Rocco Pecora from Black Watch.
11. Do you have a favorite color?