Know Your Strikers: Pecka
The popular Wellington De Jorge Estanislau Paeckart, better known to fans as Pecka, is the longest-tenured player on the Fort Lauderdale Strikers roster. Pecka has been with the Strikers since August 22, 2011 and has made a total of 55 appearances for the club including this year.
Pecka returned to the club for this year's campaigns after being loaned to Madureira Esporte Club in Brazil until April 11.
As a youngster, Pecka came up in the academy of Flamengo, one of Brazil's most storied clubs. He was eventually loaned out to Centro de Futebol Zico Sociedade Esportiva. In 2006, Pecka was selected to represent the U-18 Brazilian national team at the Sendai Cup International Youth Tournament in Japan.
Below is the transcript of our Q&A with Pecka:
1. How has your time with the Strikers been?
Wellington Paeckhart: This is like home to me, like family. I've been here three years now. I am one of the players here the longest.
2. Name one favorite moment that stands out in your soccer career ...
WP: It was when I was 18 and made my debut for Flamengo and the U-18 Brazilian national team. I played 11 years for Flamengo. I also consider a nie accomplsihments when I played for CFZ in Brazil, a team owned by the great Zico.
3. If you were not a soccer player, what other profession do you think you would have pursued?
WP: I would have been in administration.
4. What is your favorite hobby outside of soccer?
WP: I enjoy playing video games, FIFA in particular. Also going out with my girlfriend.
5. Do you have a favorite music genre you listen to? Any favorite singer and/or band?
WP: I like Samba. Thiaguinho is one of my favorite singers.
6. Any favorite sports besides soccer?
WP: For me, I like sports in general. But I do like watching NBA and NFL. Teams I cheer for are Los Angeles Lakers and Green Bay Packers, who according to a recent Forbes magazine poll have the best fans in the NFL.
7. What is your favorite food here in South Florida?
WP: Steak, chicek, rice and beans.
8. Do you have a favorite color?
9. Which professional soccer league in the world do you consider to be the best?
WP: Brazil and England.
10. Do you have a favorite soccer club -- or one that you may have cheered for while growing up?
WP: Flamengo in Brazil and Real Madrid of Spain.
11. Who is your favorite soccer player?
WP: Ze Roberto. Also Ronaldo, il phenomeno.
12. Who has had an impact in your soccer career and how?
WP: My mother kept me in line when I was a boy. I was always occupied by playing soccer. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I played with my school's team. Tuesday and Friday I practiced with my local team Nova Friburgo.