Know Your Strikers: David Meves
David Meves made his professional debut on Saturday, impressing in goal for the Strikers in the 2-1 victory against Ottawa Fury FC.
Meves came to the Strikers as a goalkeeper whose college career numbers speak for themselves. He was drafted third overall in the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft by the Portland Timbers, before joining the Strikers on July 10, 2014. He is the all-time shutouts leader (54) and minutes played (8,608) in the NCAA with the fifth-best goals-against-average ever (0.50) -- which also is the lowest mark in Akron school history.
Meves, also an Under-18 and Under-17 member of the U.S. Youth National teams, played with the Timbers Under-23 team where he recorded six shutouts and was ranked among the leaders in both goals-against average (0.85) and fewest goals allowed (11).
The 24-year-old Meves also is Akron's career leader in wins with 77. In 2010, Meves helped Akron equal an NCAA record with 11 straight shutouts and also win the National Championship. Other school records achieved are 17 shutouts, fewest goals allowed (7), goals-against-average (0.28), minutes played (2,252) and wins (23) -- all as a freshman in 2009. Meves also made the all-MAC first team in 2010 and 2012.
Q&A with David
1. How do you find the Strikers since you've been here in South Florida, how do you find the team and the atmosphere?
David Meves: I like it down here, I like playing for the team. The environment is different from Chicago.
2. Any goals for this Fall season?
DM: Obviously we'll try to win the league. Personally, try to improve my game as much as I can. Learn from a goalkeeper like Kamil who has played at the highest level internationally, hopefully pick up some things from him.
3. If you were not a soccer player, what other profession do you think you would have pursued?
DM: I would be in Finance.
4. Name one favorite moment that stands out in your soccer career ...
DM: In 2010 my college team University of Akron won the national championship.
5. What is your favorite hobby outside of soccer?
DM: I'm getting into golf right now. This is the perfect zone to start up golf.
6. Do you have a favorite music genre you listen to?
DM: Country music. I can't say that I have a particular singer or band that I enjoy more than others, just listen to country music in general.
7. Any favorite sports besides soccer?
DM: Recently I started getting into watching hockey. I follow my Chicago Blackhawks.
8. Which professional soccer league in the world do you consider to be the best?
DM: Spanish La Liga.
9. Do you have a favorite soccer club?
10. Who is your favorite soccer player?
DM: Growing up German goalkeeper Oliver Kahn was big; I liked him.
11. Who has had an impact in your soccer career and how?
DM: My parents have always pushed me to do my best, to play soccer.
12. Favorite color?
DM: Blue is my favorite color to wear.